For a group presentation in class,my group was assigned to do a presentation on drill and practice software. From the name you could tell that this type of software helps reinforce concepts that have been thought already by presenting a lot of same type situations for the individual to solve so that by doing it over and over they will get better. I decided to download a drill and practice software to learn a little more about it and came upon FRS Fraction Master.
The software came as a trial version but I was still able to do a great deal of reviewing it. Addition practice and simple recognition was two of the trial options.Addition practice present about 10 fraction addition problems for users to go through and at the end it would tell you how much you got wrong and lets you move onto the other round once you got enough accurately answered.Simple recognition gave you 10 problems as well where the user had to recognize different fraction parts of a whole. It was pretty straight forward but users must also be alert in language competence as some of the wording used to recognize certain fraction parts are tricky.
I found this to be a great software to reinforce a lesson in fractions once it has been thought. This software is not without it's flaws though as some of the disadvantages of using drill and practice software is that students or users in general can become pretty bored in doing the same thing over and over. What I think though is that as a teacher you can use drill and practice software but you have to balance it with your student's ability and initiative to work. That is to say that if you know your students will get bored doing drill and practice then you can introduce rewards for who finishes it first or diversify the use of the software with some other instructional aid. Nevertheless I believe that FRS Fraction Master can go a long way in helping with reinforcement of mathematical fraction concepts.

3 comments:
I believe I can see myself using this software when I get back into the classroom. I would recommend it to a few colleagues of mine so they can make fractions fun.
I think that would be absolutely great for teachers to use to assess their students at the end of a topic that they taught and then after give the students reward for their performance. Its really interesting hmmmm....
This software is excellent to use in the classroom to teach young children about fractions. It would help them to like mathematics, and do well in school.
Post a Comment